Dr. Henry Fung
Dr. Mohammed Qaisi
Residency Program Director
1900 W. Polk St, Ste. 612Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 864-3202Fax: (312) 864-9762
Cook County Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offers a 1-4 week externship for those students interested in pursuing a career in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
During your time at Cook County you will be exposed to oral and maxillofacial surgery and will have the opportunity to and will be expected to participate in the following:
- Outpatient and Diagnostic Clinics
- Taking call with the residents
- Daily rounds
- Assisting in the Operating Room
- Emergency and Trauma departments
- Weekly seminars and lectures
There is a call room with a shower and bathroom available to stay in and meals will be provided.
- Contact us via the following two e-mails. Send your name and requested dates for externship. You will most likely be given the date of your choice.
- In the e-mails state that you are a student wishing to rotate with the department of oral and maxillofacial surgery and would like an application to rotate at Stroger Hospital. IT TAKES TIME TO APPLY, PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN PLANNING YOUR SCHEDULE.
- Send the following materials to our department as soon as possible:
- Part I (and II if applicable) score or NBME score
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty of your choosing
- A letter of good standing from your Dean
- A Curriculum Vitae (resume)
- Class rank if applicable
- Proof of malpractice insurance. If your school does not offer this service, many companies will temporarily cover you for a couple of weeks for a small fee. We do not recommend anyone.
Materials can be sent to the previous emails or via mail to:
Cook County Hospital
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
RE: Externship Application
1900 W. Polk St, Ste. 611
Chicago, IL 60612