Thomas Patrianakos, Chairman of Division of Ophthalmology
1900 West Polk Street, Suite 617Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 864-5171Fax: (312) 864-9753
Meetings in Chicago
There are a large amounts of ophthalmology meetings in Chicago, open to residents:
- AAO Academy Meeting every other year
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society meetings every quarter
- Rabb Retina Study Group meetings every quarter
- Illinois Association of Ophthalmology meeting every year
- Northwestern Phaco Course
- Loyola Cataract & Glaucoma Symposium
- CCO Lecture Series: 2 hours of lecture every Saturday for all residents in the Chicago area
- Mondays: Morning Report followed by a one-hour lecture on Neuro
- Tuedays: Lecture on Pediatrics, Retina, or Glaucoma
- Wednesdays: Lecture on Glaucoma or Pathology
- Thursdays: Lecture on Uveitis or Neuro-ophthalmology
- Fridays: Lecture on Plastics, Retina, Cornea, or Pathology
Year 1 (PGY-2)
The first year is spent in the General Eye Clinic at Stroger Hospital and at the Provident Hospital Eye Clinic. Each resident is assigned two eye lanes. Morning lecture starts at 8am followed by clinic which begins at 9am.
|July – Sept||Oct – Dec||Jan – March||April – July|
|Provident Hospital (one day of the week is spent in the OR)||General Clinic||General Clinic||General Clinic|
Year 2 (PGY-3)
Year two is divided into 3 different blocks.
|July 1 – Oct 30||Nov 1 – Feb 28||March 1 – June 30|
|Specialties/Retina||Oak Forest Hospital||General Clinic Chief|
- Cataract surgery (resident is the primary surgeon) is performed two days of the month while on the Oak Forest Rotation.
- Pathology slide review and gross processing is held from 9-12 on Wednesdays throughout the year while on rotations at Cook County.
- Minor procedures (pterygium excision with amniotic membrane graft, chalazion excision) and minor plastics procedures (chalazion excision, orbital fat prolapse correction, conjunctiva and eyelid biopsies) are performed on Tuesdays and Thursdays while on rotations at Stroger Hospital.
Year 3 (PGY-4), Major Surgery
Each resident spends 9 months completing major surgeries (2-3 days/week) and the 3 remaining months operating at Provident Hospital. Surgical volumes are some of the highest in the country.
2015 Senior Resident Surgery Total, Example Senior #1:
|Panretinal laser photocoagulation||20||435||108||543|
|Pterygium/ conj/ corneal||3||8||5||13|
|Oculoplastic and orbit||28||36||24||60|