- Weekly Didactic Lecture Series
- Weekly Clinical Pathology
- Review, Preoperative Preparation and Indications Conference
- Journal Club (Evidence Based Reviews in Colon and Rectal Surgery)
- Monthly Fellowship Colon and Rectal Surgery Morbidity and Mortality Conference (across institutions)
- Weekly Departmental (Rush + Cook County) Surgical Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Weekly Departmental UIC Surgical Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Bi-weekly Multidisciplinary Colon, Rectal and Anal Cancer Tumor Board Conference
- Quarterly Colorectal Jeopardy in a faculty home
- Lutheran General Multidisciplinary
The formal teaching sessions are tailored to meet the Institutional and Program Requirements. The primary education in these issues is integrated into the clinical training. Ethical issues are discussed during Tumor Boards. There is an annual lecture in appropriate and successful coding. As a surgical training program, supervision is primarily during performance of procedures.
Our residents are graduates of General Surgery Training Programs and as such, are allowed a degree of independence in the daily clinical management. Staff surgeons are present for every operative procedure.
Numerous ongoing research projects are available for resident involvement. A research program is in place and a publication requirement is enforced. The faculty are directly involved in research and scholarly activities. We meet on a monthly basis in addition to electronic communications.