1900 W. Polk St.
14th FloorChicago, IL 60612
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship Program
John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County offers an accredited three-year training program in Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. The goal of the program is to train pulmonary and critical care physicians with the skills necessary for them to excel as clinicians, whether in the academic or practice realm.
The program offers a variety of experiences.
- Gain clinical experience in providing inpatient and outpatient care. The experience is gained by caring for patient a wide range of condition with wide range of severity under the supervision of experienced faculty.
- Perform a variety of procedures including bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), central line insertion, intubation and percutaneous tracheostomy, pleural biopsy and chest tubes and ultrasound imaging.
- Interpret pulmonary function tests, cardiopulmonary exercise tests, and sleep studies.
The Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Fellowship program at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital is accredited by the ACGME. Upon completion of the program fellows are eligible to take the American Board of Internal Medicine subspecialty examination in Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine.
The Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine offers training of medical residents and students in pulmonary and critical care medicine. Residents at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County are provided the opportunity to attend a vast array of lectures given by the Pulmonary Critical Care Attending staff. A wide range of topics related to pulmonary disease are taught in a lecture setting. Some of the topics covered include:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung cancer
- Pleural effusion
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Pulmonary function testing
The Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, nursing and attending staff, work with nursing programs to provide education in pulmonary disease treatments and management.