To deliver palliative care services, that aim to relieve suffering and maintain or improve the quality of life of patients facing serious or life-threatening illness throughout the continuum of care. Through an interdisciplinary team approach, we respect the dignity of each patient and strive to enhance the physical, social, psychological and spiritual well being of the patient and family.
We collaborate with community-based hospice programs who share our mission to provide coordinated, effective and efficient transitions in care regardless of ability to pay for patients with life-limiting illness and advocate for policies, which ensure quality care for patients with life-threatening illness.
Members of the Palliative Care Team
Advanced Practice Nurse: Julia Sarazine, ND, APN
Bereavement Coordinator: Jacalyn Linko, LCSW
Nurse: Lisa Fernandez, RN
Social Worker: LaToya Buchanan, MSW
Activities of the Section of Palliative Medicine
The Cook County Health and Hospitals System Supportive and Palliative Care Service provides interdisciplinary:
- Inpatient consultation at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital
- Outpatient consultation in a hospital-based ambulatory clinic
- Home visit assessment
- Collaboration with community-based hospice programs for those patients referred for hospice care.
- Education: As a major teaching institution with academic affiliation with Rush Medical College and other local medical schools and residency programs, we offer a variety of educational activities for various learners.
- M4 medical students can participate in a 2-week palliative medicine rotation (contact for information)
- Residents can participate in a 2 or 4-week palliative medicine rotation.
- The John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program is described in the following link.
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities with our program and welcome those interested to contact: Jacalyn Linko, LCSW, at (312) 864-4431 for more information.
Jennifer Smith, MD
1900 W. Polk Street
Chicago, IL 60612
Tel: (312) 864-4402
Fax: (312) 864-9500