Residency & Fellowship Coordinator
1969 W. Ogden Ave.
5th FloorChicago, IL 60612
The Pain Management Fellowship Program follows all minimum selection criteria as delineated in the Institutional Policy on Selection. All applicants for a fellowship must:
- Be a graduate of an LCME (Liaison Committee on Medical Education) accredited medical school; or an AOA (American Osteopathic Association) accredited medical school; or a medical school listed in the WHO directory of medical schools; or have completed a fifth pathway program provided by an LCME accredited medical school
- Be eligible for licensure to practice medicine in the State of Illinois
- Have completed an ACGME accredited residency in any of the following residencies: Anesthesiology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Neurology, or Psychiatry.
Applicants are required to complete and submit the Pain Medicine Fellowship Application form along with a copy of the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement showing your interest in Pain Medicine
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from your current Program Director
- Last In-Training examination results for Anesthesiology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Neurology, or Psychiatry
Please return these documents either by:
- Email to email@example.com,
- Fax to (312) 864-9544,
- Mail to the attention of Ms. Quantus Penn-Pacheco, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, 1901 West Harrison Street, Suite 5670, Chicago, Illinois 60612.
Applications are accepted from April until the end of July each year. Upon receipt of your completed application, the Selection Committee will review it, and if you meet all the criteria for selection, you will be invited for an interview. Interviews will be conducted during the months of August and September. Final decision will be made by November.
All residents, clinical fellows, research fellows, and staff who are not U.S. citizens and do not have a green card must have the appropriate visa in order to receive an appointment at the John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County.
February 6, 2013
Dear Applicant to the Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital at Cook County:
Almost all ACGME approved Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowships in the United States have agreed to participate in the NRMP’s (National Resident Matching Program) match for the fellowship year beginning July 2014. This will be the first year that a Match is utilized by pain fellowships. There are just a few programs not participating in the Match, including UCLA, Cincinnati Children’s, Columbia, and Univ. of Buffalo.
John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital at Cook County WILL participate in the NRMP Pain Medicine Match this year.
For this first year of the pain Match, you will be completing applications requested by the specific institution to which you are applying. Many programs use the “Common Pain Application” which is available as a download from the SAAA web site at: http://www.saaahq.org/PainMedicineFellowshipCommonApplicationFinal.pdf.
ERAS will not be used this first year of the Match. Each program will have a separate timeline for interviews, but in general, the Match allows applicants to interview at more programs with less time constraints since no final offers of fellowship positions will be made prior to Match Day (October).*
Note: Programs may inform applicants that an applicant will be ‘ranked to match.’ In such cases the applicant will automatically match into that program, if the applicant ranks the program as their top choice.
- June 5, 2013: NRMP Match opens for registration
- August 7, 2013: Rank order list entry begins
- September 25, 2013: Rank order list deadline
- October 9, 2013: Match Day
- July 1, 2014: Fellowship begins
On the NRMP website, there is a timeline for programs in the NRMP Match at
Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine is listed with Pediatric Anesthesiology as they share the same Match Timeline dates. If you have specific questions about the Match process for Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine fellowships, you can contact Lesley Anderson at NRMP, firstname.lastname@example.org.