1900 West Polk Street, Room 227Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 864-0506Reference Phone: (312) 864-0311
The Cook County Health & Hospitals System’s Academic Center Library opened on February 13, 1997. It replaced the Dr. Frederick Tice Memorial Library and the Health Sciences Library. To check out items from the library, you will need to fill out a Library Card Registration Form with a copied Hospital ID and send it to email@example.com to get a library card.
The Library’s collection includes:
- Reference Materials
Special Collections include:
- Physician Assistant materials
- Patient Education/Consumer Health
Expanded Circulation Privileges
CCHHS Faculty (Attending Physicians, Fellows and Residents) can borrow books from the University of Illinois at Chicago Campus Library and Rush University Library.
Faculty must register at the Academic Center-Library Circulation Desk, or fill out the Expanded Privileges Form online with a copied ID and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org (see a library staff for details) before borrowing any materials at UIC or Rush.
Faculty must adhere to the circulation policies of the lending library, including returning or renewing materials by the due date and responding to recall requests in a timely manner.
Checking out library materials requires a valid and current library card. To obtain a library card, a CCHHS employee must fill out a form and present a current hospital badge to a library staff member at the time of registration.
- Books (2 weeks)
- Reference books (2 weeks)
- Audiovisual materials (maximum is 3 @ 1 time for 3 days)
- Journals (non-circulating)
The maximum number of items of check out items is 5.
The library is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. When it is closed, you can drop off the checked out materials in the red drop off box located right outside the library doors.
A patron can renew an item either by calling the library, speaking with a library staff member during regular business hours, or by leaving a voice message at (312) 864-0506. Alternatively, you can come into the library to renew the item(s). The renewal period is the same number of days as a regular checkout. You can renew an item for up to 2 times before having to actually bring the items into the library.
If an item is declared lost, the patron will be required to pay a replacement charge (i.e. the cost of the material), and a $15 processing fee.
Printing and photocopying is a privilege for all current CCHHS employees. There is no charge to make photocopies. Please limit the photocopying to 50 pages. To protect the environment, please refrain making copies and go paperless.
Use of Computers
Priority for computer usage is given to CCHHS employees. If all of the computers are being used by both CCHHS employees and non-employees, please alert a library staff member to ask the non-CCHHS employee to finish using the computer.
There are 25 computers in the library with Microsoft Office access. Using these programs takes precedence over Internet searching on those computers.
There are 2 VCR/DVD players in our library for viewing videos. Please ask a library staff member for assistance in setting up the VCR/DVD machine.
- Please be considerate of others while in the library. Please refrain from loud noise and loud talking, which might disturb other patrons.
- Please do not bring food or beverages (except water) into the library.
- We do offer individual and small group training sessions for all CCHHS employees. These sessions are free of charge. Please request at the circulation desk.
- We have a house phone along the wall with the windows for your use. Please limit your calls to business-related calls.
- Please refrain from making and receiving cell phone calls in the library. You may use your cell phone in the area outside the library.