The new Cook County Hospital Academic Center Library opened on February 13, 1997. It replaced the Dr. Frederick Tice Memorial Library and the Health Sciences Library. The Academic Center Library serves the Cook County Hospital Community.
The Library’s collection includes:
- Reference Materials
Special Collections include:
- Physician Assistant materials
- Patient Education/Consumer Health
Expanded Circulation Privileges
Cook County Hospital Faculty (Attending and Resident Physicians) can borrow books from the University of Illinois at Chicago Campus Libraries and Rush University Library.
Faculty must register at the Academic Center-Library Circulation Desk (see a librarian for details) before borrowing any material at UIC or Rush.
Faculty must adhere to the circulation policies of the lending library, including returning or renewing material by the due date and responding to recall requests in a timely manner.
“Rules of the Road” aka the John H. Stroger, Jr. Academic Center / Library’s Policies
Checking out library materials requires a valid and current library card. To obtain a library card, a SHCC employee must present a current hospital badge to a library staff member at the time of registration.
- Books (2 weeks)
- Audiovisual material (maximum is 3 @ 1 time for 3 days)
- Journals (non-circulating)
- Reference books (non-circulating)
The maximum number of items checked out will not exceed 5.
The fine for all library materials is $1/day overdue. For example, I have 3 videos and 2 books checked out and are due 1/10/2004. Today is 1/11/2004, so the fine will be $5. (5x$1/day=$5).
We are open M-F 8:00am-6:00pm. When we are closed, you can drop off your materials in the red drop off box right outside the library doors.
A patron can renew an item either by calling the library and speaking with a library staff member during regular business hours, or leave a voice message at (312) 864-0506. Alternatively, you can come into the library to renew the item(s). The renewal period is the same number of days as a regular checkout. You can renew an item for up to 2 times before having to actually bring the item into the library.
If material is declared lost, the patron will be required to pay a replacement charge (i.e. the cost of the material), a $15 processing fee, and any overdue fine occurring before the notice that the item is lost is given to the library.
Photocopying is a privilege for all current SHCC employees. Please obtain a copy code from the circulation desk staff. We ask that you limit your photocopying to 50 pages. Do not photocopy overhead slides using our photocopiers. This will cause them to jam and to break down. Medical students and non-SHCC employees will be charged $0.10/page for photocopying. A staff member will input the copy code for you. Please note that we do appreciate exact change when paying for photocopies. As always, if you need assistance in photocopying, please consult a staff member. Please do not try to fix the copiers by yourself.
Use of Computers
Priority for computer usage is given to SHCC employees. If all of the computers are being used by both SHCC employees and non-employees, please alert a library staff member to ask the non-SHCC employee to finish.
We have 4 computers for word processing and PowerPoint. Using these programs takes precedence over Internet searching on those computers.
Due to budget constraints, we are charging all non-House Staff members $0.10/page for printing. You can pick up your printouts at the circulation desk, where you will also pay for them. As with the photocopying, please have the correct change.
We have 2 VCR/DVD players in our library for viewing videos. Please ask a library staff member for assistance in setting up the VCR/DVD machine.
- Please be considerate of others while in the library. Please refrain from loud noise and loud talking, which might disturb other patrons.
- Please do not bring food or beverages (except water) into the library.
- Please help yourself to any materials on the bookshelves in the alcove at the entrance of the library. You are welcome to take and to keep them.
- We do offer individual and small group training sessions for all SHCC employees. These sessions are free of charge. Please inquire at the circulation desk.
- We have a house phone along the wall with the windows for your use. Please limit your calls to business-related calls.
- Please refrain from making and receiving cell phone calls in the library. You may use your cell phone in the area outside the library.