June 23, 2014
Unexpected heavy rains have hit Cook County and the metropolitan Chicago area and more rain is expected for this week of June 23rd. In the event of flooding in your area, consider the following:
- Listen for news reports on radio or television stations for local information.
- Be aware of streams, drainage channels and areas known to flood suddenly.
- If local authorities issue a flood watch, prepare to evacuate.
- Be prepared! Pack a bag with important items in case you need to evacuate. Don’t forget to include needed medications.
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so. Disconnect electrical appliances.
If Your Area is Flooded
- Do not walk through moving water. As little as 6 inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Do not drive into flooded areas.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water. Stay away from downed power lines, and report them to the power company.
- Clean and disinfect everything that got wet. Mud left from floodwater can contain sewage and chemicals.